Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunset

I've been a morning hiker for a while now, but tonight I once again ventured on the well trodden path after work. It was invigorating. There was a slight crispness in the air and the sky looked like it was pondering rain. After another very full day in the office, my feet did a little giddy kick as the incline approached. I even met some of the old after work hikers I hadn't seen in a long time. Sweet greetings were exchanged :)I've hiked this trail countless times, it's been like a faithful friend during my five years in Taipei. Yet each time I continue to find wonder. And today was no exception. You'd think that by know I'd know each stone and tree, but there is always something new and it seems to be placed just for me. The Lord speaks through His creation.

Today I came up to a turn and looked out and what I saw simply took my breath away. I literally just stopped in my tracks. And there is was – the sunset. The sky was on fire and I could see the black silhouette of a mountain in Dan Shui with the sun setting behind it. The entire city before it was glowing. The river had a hue of orange and pink. It seemed like a glimpse of glory. And there I was – wowed. Absolutely wowed. I've walked this path many many times before, but didn't think about the picture that lied ahead this evening. A treasure for my after work hike.

Tonight I “doubled it” as Rachel and I so energetically refer to a hike back and forth on our path. On my trip back I knew I'd see the sunset again at the lookout. This time I was waiting for it, racing toward it, and fueled by another glimpse of it. And there it was. As time had passed an even more electrifying sight was before me. It reminded me of God's Word.

At times I find myself reading the same passage again and again. And there are times when I totally forget the promise and the treasure that is there. But when my eyes come across it again there is such an illumination of God's covenant. Just like walking on that close to daily path and being surprised by . . . the sunset. There are also times when we are in God's word and we seek and search and scan for that verse we just can't wait to read again, and when we find it, we bathe in it. Just like remembering the sunset is there and running for it - wanting another moment of wonder.

The sunsets . . .

2 comments:

Rachel said...

ah, girl...loved this post. Glad you were blessed with such a beautiful glimpse of God's amazing creation! :)

Naomi said...

Amen to Rachel's comment. Good post, Gorgeous.