Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Scale

This is the scale I stand on before I see my doctor during his hospital clinic hours. It stands at the front of the waiting room with many seats for waiting patients looking on. At first it was rather intimidating to stand on the scale in front of a crowd of patients and weigh myself before going to see the nurse. That followed by announcing my weight to the nurse so she can write it in my “mama book” :) Now I find it just hilarious and jump in the scale with precise efficiency, mentally record the result and then join the others waiting. It is also incredibly interesting to watch the other mamas maneuver on the scale. Some take their time to get the exact number right, others enlist moms, husband and friends to help them get the exact reading. Sometimes the husbands, moms and accompanying kids then all take their turn on the scale. You also see the random passerby jump on the scale just because it is there.

I've long sworn off of scales for my own personal sanity, but I recognize this as an important part of our baby's journey. It's been quite freeing actually, and I enjoy the scale shows at each doctor visit.
That's scale shows, don't mix that up with what the scale shows :)

1 comment:

Macchiatto said...

Wow, I can't imagine having to weigh myself in front of everyone! (Though I would have minded that less while pregnant, while I "had an excuse." ;)) I love that it has been freeing for you though. :) And I don't know what the scale shows, but I can tell you with full assurance that you and Sparklebean look FANTASTIC!!