Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chicken . . .

I often find myself acting out words I don't know in Chinese. Just ask Daniel about my “sparkler” impression at the traditional market. The store clerk did understand my little act. I was looking for sparklers for our New Year's Eve party. But he just didn't have any in stock. Earlier this week I was at the drug store looking for little cotton pads to take my make-up off with. The clerk just kept pointing out make-up application sponges. Hmm . . . my acting didn't work. The game is still fun. :) And I later found what I was looking for.

This weekend Daniel and I ordered Dominos pizza for home delivery. This was the first time we ordered home delivery. The person I talked to on the phone was so kind as I gave my address and we repeated it together several times. The delivery person made it to our door! The first thing he said was “I bring you this pizza in 21 minutes.” He was just a dear and ready to use his English. Then he showed us our order -- pizza, potatoes and chicken . . . I could tell he was looking for the word. After a pause he started flapping his arms up and down saying “chicken” . . . followed by the arm flaps. Chicken wings! Bless his heart as we laughed together. He repeated chicken wings several times after that. It's fun to see the game of guesstures from both sides. We sure did enjoy our pizza, and the potatoes (which were actually tater tots) and the chicken wings. We watched the movie National Treasure II. A daily treasure from home delivery! :)

1 comment:

Fry Family said...

ha ha! I love that you had someone act something for you! My favorite Andrea story is still you acting out "pig" to try to order pork in China. :) Love you!