Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fun in the Fen


Jiu Fen that is. Jiu Fen is an old gold mining town on the coast outside of Taipei. It means “Nine Parts.” Many years ago only nine families lived in that area. When one family went out shopping, they would buy nine of everything so that each family got a part of the purchases. We were glad to share in many parts of sweet fellowship with sisters.
On the bus from the train station up the mountain to Jiu Fen we met this sweet little girl named Debbie. Naomi and I were doing our best to talk to her in Chinese. Then suddenly she broke out into English and did a great job. I asked her about her syringe. She was enjoying a candy in a most unique form! Debbie had the sweetest smile and just kept enjoying the sweetness in the syringe.
We have many summer interns with us this hot season. We took two of our interns for the journey. We had many great talks, looked around in the unique shops, enjoyed a wonderful lunch on the balcony of a restaurant with a great view, and rested in patches of shade we could find.
You can even pick up your very own souvenir Terra Cotta Warrior in Jiu Fen :)

2 comments:

Macchiatto said...

Aww, what fun!

Fry Family said...

That looks so fun. I'm still sad that I never made it to Jiufen. I guess that means I'll have to come back for a visit...:)