Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chinese Spinach

It’s always fun to pick up on little conversations from others, isn’t it? Especially if they are in Chinese! For me, that is such a little victory. Eavesdropping in Chinese is fun! Anyway, as I sit here thinking of what to make for dinner, it reminded me of a little conversation I overheard during one of my morning hikes last week.
It was an older married couple (at least that’s what I gathered from looking at the sweetness in them). They were discussing what kind of vegetables to eat for lunch or dinner. Or it could have even been breakfast! The wife kept suggesting different vegetables, and the husband kept saying “that’s not good.”


Here’s a little script for fun:
Wife: How about cabbage?
Husband: Cabbage? No cabbage is not good!
Wife: Chinese Spinach?
Husband: Chinese Spinach? No, that’s not good!
Wife: What about lettuce?
Husband: That’s not good. No, no, not lettuce.

*This is starting to sound like a Let’s Talk in English script. :)

Since Rachel and I hike at super sonic speed that’s all I caught from the conversation. I do hope they settled on a vegetable of choice. Oh, the drama of our little neighbourhood. It’s fun!

My vegetable of choice would be sweet potato leaves. Oh, how I so enjoy sweet potato leaves! Makes the rabbit in me do little heart hippidy hops! Linda and I each enjoyed a plate of this deep green vegetable goodness at one of our favourite local eateries today for lunch.

Now what shall I make Daniel for dinner tonight. This is how our conversation may just go . . .

Wife: Honey, what would you like for dinner?
Husband: Bacon!
Wife: How about a nice vegetarian chili?
Husband: How about some bacon?
Wife: Or a salad?
Husband: With bacon bits? Or bacon chunks. Bacon would be great!
Wife: So you want bacon?
Husband: I like bacon.

I’ve been cooking a lot of bacon lately. Tee hee. I really have been writing too many LTE scripts today. :)

Though when we look at the scripts of our days we simply must smile :)

Now what vegetable shall I make to go with the bacon . . .

6 comments:

Linda said...

LOL! :) HAHAH... Fab entry. Guess what we had for dinner tonight.

At Costco, Campbell had hot dog. And Campbell and Linda shared a tasty Caeser chicken salad. I guess our men like their meat.

And I agree. Sweet potatoe has to be one of my fav veg. Most definitely.

Rachel said...

Love this post, girl! :) I remember that conversation on our hike, too! And yes, we do go super sonic speed! Love that!

I made bacon tonight, too! But I made the low-fat kind. It doesn't get very crispy. Sigh. Matt had it on a veggie burger, though, so he's definitely come a long way. :)

Rachel said...

Linda and I were both checking your blog at the same time! Sisters, unite!!

Anonymous said...

Real men eat meat. {GRUNT}

Camy said...

Hello, Andrea! I am Ashley's sister Camy. She referred me to your post featuring dear Elvis. LOL. It is in my blood to love him as well (grin).

Your husband's affection for bacon reminds me of that great figure, Homer Simpson. I believe his words were "MMMMM...BaaaaKKKKuuuuun."

BTW, my daughter Rachel is your husband's biggest fan. She adores the expressive photos of him in the Let's Talk In English mag.

Blessings,

Camy

Macchiatto said...

LOL, adorable!
My hubby and I *heart* turkey bacon. And lots of vegetables. He has gotten really into salads lately, which makes me happy. (wants to stay healthy for his wife and kiddos! ;))