Gong Gong is father-in-law in Mandarin Chinese. I’ve taken to calling my father-in-law Gong Gong and my dear mother-in-law, Poa Poa, at times. My Gong Gong, Daniel’s father Christian, came to visit us on the island. This was the first time he visited his son and “his wife” and was the first family member to stay on our roof with us.
We had a great week together. We enjoyed lunches together and little evening outings after Daniel and I finished work. Christian also spoke in our company’s chapel one morning, and seems to be remembered from his previous visits too. One night we went to the hair salon together - just my Gong Gong and me. It was a bonding time and getting a hair wash is always a treat. I especially enjoyed it after a long flight back to Taipei.
One night a dear colleague took us out for a hot pot dinner. This is always an experience; we can even say an event for eating. Nancy kept Christian’s pot filled and was a good teacher for this art. There was a lot of laughter as our pots were boiling.
On the weekend we went to a pottery town outside of Taipei called Yinge. Here we journeyed with our umbrellas through down the cobblestone streets of this artsy area.
Christian was here for some of our last few really hot days, and was also here for the beginning of a spell of rain. But the rain didn't dampen our time together. And we got some fun umbrella shots!
We were very thankful to have family with us. Thank you, Gong Gong, for your visit! We love you!
Here's a "I'm working" pic :)
4 comments:
Yay, an update! And what fun pics!
Where is that last one taken? I don't recognize it. (Much has changed in 3+ years away ... ;))
Thanks for all your comments, Aim! So fun! This is the first time I try to respond to a comment. I hope it works! The pic is taken in my office :) You know it as Kerby and then Phil Klarsen's place :)
Hey! I recognize that office from Skype!! :) Looks like you all had fun with Christian! May you have a lifetime of laughs!
Loving the office, Drea! I remember when you were just a little fish in that big pond...just out in the "fishbowl" with the rest of the pee-ons! :P
Post a Comment