Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Dad – A Man with a Birthday

My dad celebrated his 75th birthday on October 23. I was blessed to be part of the celebration. A father is one of the best people to celebrate. I give thanks for my dad and the journey the good Lord has blessed him with.

We had a lunch celebration on the day with close friends. We all met at the King's Buffet – A Chinese Buffet! Even though I live in Taiwan, Chinese food in North America is a treat! Then we went back to our house for a time of sharing and games. I hosted a fun memory game and it was just great how everyone participated and the stories that were shared. Daniel had prepared a special photo sideshow of my dad's life. This went over really well. I smiled a big smile as people sang a long with a German classic song that sings, "My home is the Sea . . . "

My dad wore a T-shirt (a gift from a previous birthday) with a darling picture of him at two years old on it. Many people thought it was me! We also have a painting of this picture hanging up at home. It's a favourite. I guess long hair was in on boys in the 30s. :)

The celebration continued on the weekend with our "family" together. Even though I've been in Asia for eight years now, when family is together again it's as if no time has passed. That is a gift!

Our backyard neighbours also blessed my dad with this birthday banner. What darling shared birthday joy.

1 comment:

Macchiatto said...

Wow, 8 years. You are the woman. So glad your dad had a wonderful birthday. :) Love the long hair. ;)