The marathon began at 5:45 am. There were tiki torches and seniors blowing on conch shells right before the countdown. There were 213 people running the full marathon. It was a Maui family affair as Adam, Shannon and Daniel all brought me to the start line. With jet lag we are all up early anyway. :) It was still very dark as the race began and the stars in the sky were twinkling!
Before we began, the race director had a message for us. There was an accident at night that left a power pole and line down on the road which caused a detour at the beginning of our course. This detour added another mile to the run, and that also meant that I didn't run by our condo. I had therefore run 27.2 miles when I crossed the finish line. A marathon is 26. 2 miles. The race director joked that this was now training for an ultimate marathon. :)
Many of us were running together at the beginning of the route. It was interesting to have a few conversations as we ran. This was my first race outside of Taiwan, so it was nice to be able to understand conversations too. And for some reason no one wanted to have English conversation practice :) My cheering section met me at mile 10 and then later at mile 19 and it was so great to see them at the finish line. I also got a cool medal with Maui and the running route on it.*A little orange cat ran with me for about 100 meters.
*So many beautiful flowers along the route!
*Actually seeing humpback whales playing in the ocean on my left! They were such encouragement!*Running with a girl named Alysha for about 10 miles. She was running her first marathon and it was so nice to chat with her.
*The Maui Massage School gave free post-run massages! This made it all worthwhile :)
*I heart my new running shoes! They are Saucony and they weigh only 250 grams each!
We had a wonderful and delicious dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Our waiter was a total surfer dude. He told us the shrimp were actually from Taiwan. The food was delicious and we enjoyed all the movie references all around. 
It was an incredible day and experience! While running, I thought that I'm never going to do this again. At the finish line I thought, I could do this again :)
3 comments:
What a fantastic experience! I am slightly jealous! Thanks for sharing all the cool "sparkles" as well as your honest feeling of thinking you wouldn't do another one (while running the race). Yes, you are human after all. :) Go, Andrea! I'm so proud of you!
:) Drea, wonderful photos and sparkles from the trip!! Loved each sparkle. And I heart your socks.
You are my hero!! Way to go chick!!
What an amazing time in Hawaii!!!
Hugs
Nicky
Post a Comment