Saturday, December 19, 2009

Swimming

A few weeks ago I went to the Nei Hu Sports Park for a Saturday morning swim. I hadn't been for a while, so it was nice to head over to that area again. As I waited for the elevator I noticed a poster advertising new Aqua fit classes for December. What pulled me in to read past the Chinese characters was a picture of a foreigner. And there I was – me and my pregnant self in a bathing suit, in the water, smiling at the camera the traditional Asian picture sign (bunny ears, victory). I just had to laugh out loud. I though I was just taking an innocent photo with one of the friendly Aqua fit instructors. You never know how things go here. Oh, my!

I recently found a pool just two blocks behind our apartment that I've now been swimming at. Being able to walk there within five minutes has been such a blessing! The friendly neighbourhood gym gave me a special rate to use the pool as long as I can before the baby comes. I've been almost every day for over a week, and hope to keep going as long as I can. Swimming has been such a blessing my entire pregnancy, but especially in these last weeks and now days. I feel my best in the water, and I think the baby really likes it too. It's also helped my swelling tremendously.

I think our little BB will be quite the swimmer – we swam a 5 KM ocean swim when he/she was just a little appleseed (5 weeks old), got to swim in Lake Huron this summer at home, in pools throughout Taiwan, and may even have a water birth. The birthing centre we are going to also offers newborn swimming therapy. Daniel and I saw a baby doing this while we visited. I wish you could see Daniel's impression of this. Our little one may also give it a try!

Until then . . . I'll keep on swimming! :)

1 comment:

Macchiatto said...

I love that! :) And I really am fascinated by newborn swimming therapy; I'd never heard of it before. Might have to google that one! :)