Red Cabbage
It's called red cabbage, but it looks purple to me! A dear friend surprised me with a beautiful head of red/purple cabbage, and yesterday I decided to make Rotkohl! That's red cabbage in German :) It's a traditional German dish, and one that I grew up with. It was an almost weekly dish at home, and my mom preparing red cabbage is such a picture of home for me. Now it was my turn! I almost hesitated cutting and shredding the beautiful head of cabbage, but so the dish goes. After the cabbage was shredded it was time to stew it for close to an hour. I added some water, vinegar, chopped apples, cinnamon and cloves. I also added peppercorns as I thought that's what my mom always added, but I was wrong. Anyway, no biggie. Red cabbage looks and tastes great, but the smell while cooking it isn't that appealing. That memory of childhood came back, as Daniel asked me, "What are you cooking?" from our next room. All in all it was a taste of home, and we have a few more side dishes of red cabbage to enjoy for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment